Sunday, October 21, 2007

Brooke Shields

Brooke Shields photographed by George Hurrell


Brooke Shields has one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen documented on the screen. Even the famous photographer George Hurrell came out of retirement to photograph her. I also think she had that scary, unnerving, Lolita-like "is she a woman or a girl?" type of look that she seems to have lost as she got older.

Many seem to comment that she's lost her beauty, even though she's still gorgeous to me, I can see what they're saying, she looks very different now. It's not so much the typical "she got older" argument (yet technically, it really is), it's just that her facial structure is very different now. She was born with strong features, those same strong features combined with the youthful plumpness of her face from her child and teenage years made for a striking combination. Our faces get thinner with age of course, so with that youthful plumpness gone, Brooke's strong features became sharper. It's basically the opposite story of Michelle Pfeiffer, who was very average when she was younger, but suddenly blossomed into a very beautiful woman within the last several years (it's also worth noting that Michelle has very soft, delicate features).

Brooke is still attractive though, and and has that regal, sophisticated look, like what Ingrid Bergman and Grace Kelly had in their 40's, I could only wish to be that hot at 42. But can you imagine being one of the most beautiful women in the world at only 15?

In the movie, Wanda Nevada, Brooke plays the title character. Part of the premise is that Wanda Nevada is a 13-year old runaway who has fled Catholic school. Peter Fonda's character "wins" her in poker game, he feels obligated to take her with him as a way of protecting her, but he mostly regards her as a pest. In one scene, the two characters are at a reststop diner, Wanda has just gotten into this big argument with Peter Fonda's character, and decides to go off on her own. As she's making her way around the parking lot, she's whistled at and solicited by various bikers and truck drivers. She's obviously frightened, but she keeps on walking, a creepy guy follows her, he threatens her and tells her to get into his truck. Peter Fonda drives up just in time to rescue her. The juxoposition of the make-up, jewelry, the tough game she talks, and the fact that she is still just a kid underneath all of that make-up couldn't be greater. It's a feeling that I was familiar with growing-up. I liked wearing make-up at that age, fixing my hair, and wearing trendy clothes, but underneath it all, I still felt awkward and self-conscious. When I was 14, I met this actor who was a friend of my cousin's, he was cute enough and in his early 20's. Upon meeting him, he asked me " I think I've seen you before", I told him I was pretty sure that was impossible. I related this to my sisters and was suprised to learn this was an obvious pick-up line. I remember feeling both incredibly flattered and weirded out by this, I wasn't used to being seen as a woman (he didn't know how old I was until later).

I think it must be some sort of miracle that Brooke came out of her teenage years uncorrupted. She didn't become addicted to drugs, she went to college. Part of it could be contributed to her mother. Terri Shields was a classic case of a stage mother, she was famous for being rigid, and hard to work with regarding her daughter's career. I do think it's strange for a mother who has a reputation for making Mama Rose look laid-back, would let her then 10-year old daughter pose naked, with a face full of make-up in a series of photos (a photographer whose name was appropriately, Gary Gross), or star in a film like Pretty Baby. I remember reading that Teri regarded Brooke like a painting, her beauty as something that should be seen and shared, which I think, is an interesting way to look at the career choices she made for Brooke. I can't get over the feeling that Brooke was, in a way, exploited for her looks. I think it's great that her beauty was documented on film, but the problem lies in the type of film and the way she was photographed.

Anyway all of that aside, I love how Brooke's look is experiencing a resurgence in the fashion world. John Galliano made a spring/summer collection inspired by the way she looked in Pretty Baby. Last year, The New York Post ran an article, telling everyone to throw out their tweezers. Hilary Rhoda, Doutzen Kroes, Ali Micheal, and Marina Linchuk are all in high demand. Natalia Vodianova was hired by Calvin Klein because she reminded him of Brooke. Of course, none of the new girls are quite like the real thing.

left: Brooke Shields, right: Marina Linchuk

3 comments:

M said...

I had heard a different version re: the nude photo session, that her mother had blown a fuse over them, because the photographer had taken advantage of Brooke's youth, and taken those pictures without her consent. But sometimes I think people get that story mixed with another infamous photo session with a minor, the one where Roman Polanski ended up making love to the girl, and to this day can't set foot in the States on charges of pedophilia.

I once read an interview with Susan Sarandon, where she was adamant that Brooke was never naked in Pretty Baby. Objects and clothes were placed strategically so that her nudity wouldn't be visible.

What I remember finding disturbing was the way her character in that movie was coming on to her first client. I guess I expected her to be more child-like, afraid or hesitant, but maybe it's more realistic that way. Maybe in real life that's how a child would act in those circumstances, pretending to be all tough and adult, not wanting others to think she can't handle it.

One of the prettiest photos of Brooke I've seen is this one (it's a great site, with lots of wonderful art).


http://www.bertc.com/subsix/stars/shields1.htm

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure what the real story is. But I would think her mother would be there right with her during such a photoshoot. Who knows what went on there.
Thanks for the link Mariana, that's a stunning picture of Brooke!

Anonymous said...

Brooke Shields is the distant cousin of Fred Shields, the actor of Corliss Archer. Both Brooke and Fred are direct descendants of William Shields!