Thursday, September 6, 2007

My Afternoon Browsing for Madame Alexander Dolls

So I've been looking for a birthday gift for a my niece, and what could be a more classic gift than a Madame Alexander doll? What I found turned out to be far more interesting than I expected. I was suprised to find out that Madame Alexander has a doll line similar to Barbie, only way more classy. Seriously, they make the Bratz dolls look like crackwhores. Of course, they come with a hefty price tag though, ( they can run from $80 to $200). But check out how freaking cool they look:




The one on the left is even carrying a tiny birkin bag.

However, "Newport
Alex" looks freakishly like Maureen Dowd:

I wonder is she also comes with a tiny New York Times and a copy of Are Men Necessary?.

I don't think I'm willing to drop that much cash for one of these though. Even the clothes for these things are ridiculously expensive. For example, this tiny dress is available for a whopping $80:



On the other hand, I could totally see myself wanting to buy a "Psycho Doll". How cool is this? It even has Anthony Perkin's shadow in drag!


And after buying the Psycho doll, how could I not buy this Tippi Hedren "Birds" doll?



They also have a range of "Gone With the Wind" dolls. They even have a "Prissy". She's cute, but I keep having bad flashbacks of that Nip/Tuck episode where Brittany Snow's nazi character's mom collected mammy dolls. However, I like to pretend that racist assholes like that don't exist and are not the one's buying the doll. They also had a Scarlett with two interchangable dresses entitled "Dinner with Rhett: Then and Now". One in the traditional full circle skirted garb as seen in the movie hence the "Then". The other one is a little black dress, hence the "Now". Seriously, what the fuck? I believe they ran out of ideas with that one.

All in all, I didn't end up finding a suitable doll for my niece. Maybe when she get's older I might buy her one, but I really don't think a 3 year-old is going to appreciate a Madame Alexander doll. And seriously, they're too damned expensive (and that's not even counting the shipping and handling).

I'm remembering all of those cool fancy dolls I used to have. Most of them ended up without their original clothing, ratty hair and short necks from having their heads manually screwed back on. But I'm totally getting that Birds doll.

No comments: